[lsb-discuss] LSB Core certification, allow LSB apps to depend on less than full LSB

Stew Benedict sbenedict at mandriva.com
Wed Sep 6 04:54:38 PDT 2006

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Robert Schweikert wrote:

> >From an application point of view certification to a subset is less
> important, however what we would need is a way to differentiate the
> installed packages. Since we and probably others do not use RPM the
> dependency theory is broken.
>
> What if lsb-version would return different values depending on the LSB
> components installed. For example on a server that does not have the GUI
> components installed lsb-version could return "3.2 Core" while on a
> desktop system with the full installation it could return "3.2 All". The
> LSB itself of course must give distribution vendors the option to break
> the required LSB components into two packages.

Lsb_release is currently designed to do this, no?  The way I've set is up
in Mandriva, the "core" provides is in /etc/lsb-release, and the
additional components come with the sub-packages in /etc/lsb-release.d.

"lsb_release -a" then reports what sub-components of lsb have been
installed.

--
Stew Benedict - Mandriva