[lsb-discuss] LSB conference call agenda (Tuesday, September 5, 11am ET)

Ian Murdock imurdock at imurdock.com
Wed Sep 6 05:15:10 PDT 2006

On 9/5/06, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> I would like the sdk to include a tool to translate the .lsb packages to .deb
> packages.  We have to do this because we want to have a Debian/Ubuntu
> repository, and apt-get currently doesn't support the .lsb format.
> (We're looking at fixing that, but the lead time for such a change is long.)

Would it make sense to bundle alien (and a wrapper that calls alien with
the proper command line options) to accomplish this?

For those following along: An LSB package (which is actually a portable
.rpm, not .lsb) can be installed just fine on Debian and derived distros
(e.g., Ubuntu) with "alien -ick" (yes, we see the accidental humor too).

However, given that Debian's preferred method of software installation
these days is APT, we really need a solution that generates APT repos.

On a related note, how hard is it to generate yum repos too?

-ian
--
Ian Murdock
317-863-2590