[lsb-discuss] Proposed FHS development timeline

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Sun Sep 10 17:54:16 PDT 2006

At 2006/9/7 09:25-0400  arch harris writes:
> It is not clear to me to what extent the FHS can or would be
> willing to change current practice.  The introduction to the
> FHS states that the "standard consists of a set of requirements
> and guidelines for file and directory placement under UNIX-like
> operating systems".  That to me implies the ability to try to
> move the UNIX-like community if the group so decides.  So before
> posting the following, is it even a valid topic of discussion
> for this group?

The FHS isn't the place for major reorganisations like this. Its
primarily a trailing standard (documenting existing practice). There
certainly are some inconsistencies in the specification (as you have
noted) and its not out of scope to note these issues with the view
that distributions will (slowly) change over time.

Major reorganisations are best discussed elsewhere (not sure where,
maybe in individual distribution discussion lists?).

Regards,

Chris
cyeoh at au.ibm.com
IBM OzLabs Linux Development Group, ADL