[lsb-discuss] LSB certification for development environment and/orcompiler

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Sep 13 04:31:11 PDT 2006

>I will like to invite you all to discuss this and how one can implement
>such a certification program. How does the conformance test suite for
>the IDEs/compilers look like? How can a compiler/IDE vendor guarantee
>that they are capable of producing LSB binaries?

I think this is quite a complex problem, as I expect experienced
developers will weigh in on.  Qualifying a compiler to produce
code that meets a certain standard is hard, and for a complete
description of the process of producing a binary, you need to
describe any other tools (binutils, for example - providing the
linker, and the assembler for those who use it).  Once you've
identified all the "toolchain" components, you presumably have to
certify them as a set, and then describe what happens when one
component of the set needs to change due to update.

Now: what happens when I want to take a compiler product that
has been certified and move it to a different distribution than
the one it was certified on. Should this still be valid, even
though some of that toolchain will now be different?

Current LSB certification has a two-part promise - one is that
the product has been shown to pass the tests and two is that,
per the trademark license agreement, the vendor promises that
the product complies and will be fixed if found not to comply,
even if the provided tests did not turn up the problem. I think
that's not too bad when applied to rutimes or even applications,
but could we make such a scheme useful when there's a multi-stage
pipeline?