[lsb-discuss] LSB Porting errors

Dominik Seichter domseichter at web.de
Wed Sep 13 08:51:04 PDT 2006

Hello,

My name is Dominik Seichter and I am currently in the progress of creating a
LSB build of a larger commercial unix application.

I installed a LSB 3.1 build environment on a SuSE 10.1 installation in a
VMWare.

I get some strange errors when linking and I cannot find any solution on the
net or in the mailinglist archives of this list. Hopefully someone can help
here.

The final product consists of an application "tfprint" and several shared
libraries which are developed in-house. "tfprint" links to these shared
libraries which will all distributed with the final product. So there should
be no problem with shared linking according to LSB and static linking should
not be necessary.

When linking tfprint I get an error:
<snip>
/usr/lib/gcc/i568-suse-linux/4.0.2/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: .libs/tfprint:
hidden symbol '__dso_handle' in /usr/lib/gcc/i586-suse-linux/4.0.2/crtbegin.o
is referenced by DSO
/usr/lib/gcc/i568-suse-linux/4.0.2/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: final
link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
</snap>

Please see also the screenshot tfprint_error.jpg for the complete output.

One reason for the problem for the problem might be in the shared library
used. I ran lsbarchk on the libraries (without knowing the correct status of
this application - I read that it is only alpha software right now).

The command libarchk -A /usr/local/lib/libtbarcode2.a returned the results
shown in the screenshot lsbarchk_error.jpg. __dso_handle is used in the
library but not part of LSB_Modules. As far as I know is __dso_handle needed
in shared libraries under Linux, isn't it?  Other unknown symbols are things
like __moddi3 which are generated from the compiler for math stuff. Shouldn't
those be part of the LSB standard?

Are the any ideas what could cause such errors? Might there be any problem
with my build environment setup? I can create small sampel "hello world" lsb
application without any problems. If someone needs more information I will of
course provide it to you.

Thanks in advance,
	Dominik Seichter
Dominik Seichter - domseichter at web.de