[lsb-discuss] LSB test application

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Thu Sep 14 13:46:58 PDT 2006

>I see lots of LSB test kit talk on this list but something that will
>eventually become quite useful is a test application for the end user.
>If I have a Linux distro that I believe to be LSB compliant,
>but my LSB
>compliant application is not working and is throwing up a
>strange error,
>it would be great if I could run a standard application, LSB-Diag for
>example and get a lot of nice green ticks and a red cross showing what
>is missing (after installing that new lib over the old one because I
>dont know what I am doing).

lsblibchk (plus lsbcmdchk for commands) should come pretty close to
this.
It doesn't test that all the bits are working, but it tests they're
all there and of the required versions.

>Just like on Windows when I run a game and it has Direct X problems I
>can run the diag tool and see what bits of directX I dont have.
>
>Of course if it works well it will link in with the distros package
>database and tell me which package provides the missing piece.

That we don't have, but every distribution we know about has
an lsb package (sometimes named slightly differently, like 'redhat-lsb')
which has dependencies set up so it pulls in everything required for
LSB conformance.  That's not quite what you're asking for but should
have a fairly similar effect.