[lsb-discuss] pthread_atfork

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Tue Sep 19 08:13:13 PDT 2006

>> libpthread.so used to be a simple shared library, now
>> it is a linker script:
>>
>> GROUP ( /lib/libpthread.so.o /usr/lib/libpthread_nonshared.a )
>>
>> When you examine a shared library by itself, it has not yet
>> been subject to final link editing.  When that library is
>> the target of producing an executable with ld, the nonshared.a
>> library will be statically linked, and so the symbol will
>> exist, and be be resolved, within the executable.
>
>But then one should never get a link error for a symbol falling into
>this category. I can definitely create a link error for
>pthread_atfork().

then it must be escaping the way lsbcc does this (BTW, I saw
two other fatal problems in your checker output, so it's not
going to succeed anyway - pthread_getattr_np and syscall)

is -lpthread on the link line?  or is it only in the
DT_NEEDED of the openMP library (I think we made pthread
default so this shouldn't matter, but I'm curious to know)