[lsb-discuss] Info: interfaces being removed in POSIX

Nick Stoughton nick at msbit.com
Mon Sep 25 10:10:25 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 07:52 -0700, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> As a data point for those who aren't closely following
> the POSIX revision process, these items are currently
> scheduled for removal from the next revision, which
> would be out late 2007 or early 2008:

The basic rule is "If it was marked as obsolete in the old revision,
then we have given 5 years notice that we plan to remove this interface
from the standard soon".

The exception to this is utimes(), which was marked as obsolete last
time, but will be re-promoted (i.e. un-obsoleted) at this revision.

For any of these that are NOT marked as obsolete in the LSB, we should
do so now (so we  can remove them in 5 years time too). We should also
make arrangements to be able to pick up the text describing them from
POSIX to move into the LSB.