[lsb-discuss] More standard calls for system setup tasks needed in the LSB

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 15:34:51 PDT 2007

Hi,

on my work on the LSB DDK (Driver Development Kit) I have found out that
the LSB lacks standard calls for system setup tasks which can be used
from package maintainer scripts for example.

For prinrter driver packages and also the CUPS packgae I need:

- Adding and removing startup scripts for system service
For this there is /usr/lib/lsb/install_initd and
/usr/lib/lsb/remove_initd. We need to assure that all distros ship a
working implementation of it.

- (Re)starting a daemon
Must be done both for a daemon of the package itself (for example a
daemon which is part of the printer driver, like the daemons of HPLIP)
and for daemons of other packages (CUPS needs to be restarted after
adding o modifying files used by CUPS). For this LSB does not provide
anything.

- There is no command to link PAM config files into the PAM config directory

- Is "/sbin/ldconfig" fore registering dynamic libraries standardized?

- Directories /opt, /etc/opt, and /var/opt should exist in an
LSB-compliant distro, so that packages installing into /opt can be
installed without "--nodeps".

See also the ugly maintainer scripts needed due to this:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/printdriver/SPECS/cups.spec
http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/printdriver/SPECS/ghostscript.spec
http://www.linuxprinting.org/download/printdriver/SPECS/gutenprint.spec

I am also considering adding RPM macros for typical tasks to be done by
the maintainer scripts, especially also to make it easier that they work
in both RPM and DEB packages.

    Till