[lsb-discuss] Question about sending journals for LSB certification

Vladimir Rubanov vrub at ispras.ru
Mon Apr 9 06:50:39 PDT 2007

Jiri,

I would like to express ISP RAS opinion and vision on the technical details
of the current and future distribution certification procedure.

Of course running distribution tests from command line is an essential
feature, which we always took into account. And as you correctly say, the
use case scenario for embedding the LSB tests into automated scenarios (e.g.
nightly) at the distribution developer side is very useful and recommended
one.

That's why we maintain command line interface for the DTK Manager, which we
call "autotest-ext" because it is mostly running the autotest itself with
just slight improvements. And we do recommend using this one instead of the
raw autotest to have the same format results in the single place independent
of the way you run the tests - via web or via command line. The important
point here is that in both cases you will be able to see and analyze the
results through the DTK Manager web interface (Results tab), which will
contain advanced analysis features (e.g. visual comparison of two different
test reports) in addition to the clickable "nifty" web reports it already
has. Having the same result format and contents is also useful for the LSB
Workgroup for examining submitted by a distribution vendor certification
results - in this case one can just unpack the submitted archive into the
local results repository folder and view it through the user friendly
interface rather than digging into the raw text files.

So we recommend using autotest-ext command line interface to submit for
certification the full results that it creates, i.e. journals, logs, host
info and the summary report in a single zip, because this zip is to become
an integrated portable data element for the certification procedures.

Please see the instructions on how to use the autotest-ext at
http://ispras.freestandards.org/index.php/LSB_DTK_Manager_Getting_Started -
scroll to Using Command Line UI and Results Repository sections.

BTW, Jiri, you can view the source code of autotest-ext in the bzr
(http://bzr.freestandards.org/lsb/3.1/dtk-manager) to understand the
difference from the original autotest, which may give you additional
information. Also, as you know, the target for us is to move as much as
possible from autotest-ext to the original autotest in future.

Regards,
Vladimir.