[lsb-discuss] /etc/profile.d and LSB (test procedure missing?)

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Mon Apr 9 06:59:30 PDT 2007

>> I discovered that when making a CUPS package for the LSB DDK. In the
>> maintainer scripts of the RPM (see below) I had to add the script to
>> the end of /etc/profile (and remove this on uninstall) for
>> non-conforming distros.
>
> Any responses? This is a pretty serious issue, particularly if we are
> telling people to use /etc/profile.d to integrate their apps with the
> system (e.g., add to PATH etc.). -ian

There's not much good to say at the moment.

I'm not sure that when the /etc/profile.d wording was added that
it was considered carefully enough.  It was one of those things
that went in on the "everybody does it this way" (aka best practice)
principle. As far as I can tell, POSIX does not require this behavior
of the shell, but at the time absolutely everybody used bash as
/bin/sh so it must have seemed fine.  Now that some people are
shipping a minimalist POSIX shell as /bin/sh, and only installing
bash as /bin/bash we've run into a problem.

And no, there are no tests for this behavior.

I don't think we've completely scoped out what's happening
here, some distro feedback would be useful ...