[lsb-discuss] LSB 3.2 additions to "desktop" test suite

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Mon Apr 9 07:57:06 PDT 2007

Based on contributions from late last year, which I'm
finally getting around to working on, there are four
new components to the desktop test suite.  These are:

1. freedesktop.org specs (menu, "desktop" mime types)
2. freetype library
3. xft library
4. xrender library

Through the use of autobuilt tests suites, these
will begin appearing as they're fully integrated.

For items 2-4, the contribution includes a framework,
but not a build setup, mainly because the tests cannot
build properly until the support for these three
libraries is integrated into the database/build tools.
That work is just starting up again and hopefully we'll
start seeing some results in the next couple of weeks.
So while the packages include directories for these
three tests, and the test driver (run_tests) will call
them, they'll fail because there are actually no test
binaries present - yet.

For item #1,  there's now an lsb-xdg-utils package
(in snapshots, it was added to the autobuilder last
week) which the test depends on, to deal with systems
which may not yet have xdg-utils, but I notice the test
uses the native xdg-utils if it found it.  There's a
big problem though; as we head more towards tests which
are driven from a single command and operate completely
non-interactively, this test is very interactive - for
example, it repeatedly pops a menu up and asks you
to select an item from it, then confirm that it worked
right.  Since this is at odds with our current automated
testing philosophy, we'll need to come up with something
to do here - and this email, if you've gotten this far,
is a call for suggestions.

In general, there seem two approaches we could take:
(1) redesign the test in some way so that it can be
operated non-interactively (could include using some
sort of driver which handles the interactive parts)
(2) split this test out into the small list (all the
others are currently appbat applications) which can
not be driven from the test driver.

If anyone wants to take a look, the test packages
can be found here:

ftp://ftp.freestandards.org/pub/lsb/snapshots/desktop-test

and the required lsb-xdg-utils here:

ftp://ftp.freestandards.org/pub/lsb/snapshots/lsb-xdg-utils

desktop-test, which consists of multiple distinct test suites,
now allows invoking just a single one of these, so to run
the "Freedesktop.org" tests (fdo) alone, do this:

# cd /opt/lsb/test/desktop
# ./run_tests -s FDO