[lsb-discuss] Does LSB define kernel modules ?

Alexey Eremenko al4321 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 10:50:30 PDT 2007

> There's been some talk recently about standardizing more of the kernel
> interfaces.
>
> In general, we want to standardize interfaces, not implementations.

That's OK.

> Additionally, we want to standardize current best practices.  In the
> particular case of CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS, it's my understanding that the
> option is deprecated due to security issues, and is not enabled on the
> latest versions of SuSE.  We do not have the power to force SuSE (or
> anyone else) to include things, especially if those things entail a
> potential risk.

That's true. We had a discussion at SUSE and came to conclusion to
include CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS but disable that by default, so users who
run VMware/VirtualBox have the option to enable that manually in
openSUSE 10.3. (instead of recompiling kernel as in 10.2). But that's
OT.

--
-Alexey Eremenko "Technologov"