[lsb-discuss] Does LSB define kernel modules ?

Matt Taggart taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com
Fri Apr 20 14:34:41 PDT 2007

"Alexey Eremenko" writes...

> hi all !
>
> I have briefly read the LSB 3.1 specification, and found nothing about
> kernel modules, that must exist, either pre-compiled built-in or as
> modules.
>
> This is bad, since some applications depend on this or that module.
>
> Examples:
> NTFS-3G requires FUSE module
> All Virtualization software: (VirtualBox/VMWare) need
> CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS module for USB support.
>
> To make this kind of software LSB-compatible we need to define min
> modules that must present on any Linux system.
>
> What do you think of it?

The LSB has deliberately never specified kernel interfaces for several
reasons. The LSB Futures group(now defunct) has a web page to document the
issues,

http://www.linux-foundation.org/futures/identification/kernel/index.html

--
Matt Taggart        Open Source & Linux Organization R&D
taggart at fc.hp.com   Hewlett-Packard