[lsb-discuss] Does LSB define kernel modules ?

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Fri Apr 20 14:47:35 PDT 2007

lsb-discuss-bounces at lists.freestandards.org wrote:
> "Alexey Eremenko" writes...
>
>> hi all !
>>
>> I have briefly read the LSB 3.1 specification, and found nothing
>> about kernel modules, that must exist, either pre-compiled built-in
>> or as modules.
>>
>> This is bad, since some applications depend on this or that module.
>>
>> Examples:
>> NTFS-3G requires FUSE module
>> All Virtualization software: (VirtualBox/VMWare) need
>> CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS module for USB support.
>>
>> To make this kind of software LSB-compatible we need to define min
>> modules that must present on any Linux system.
>>
>> What do you think of it?
>
> The LSB has deliberately never specified kernel interfaces for several
> reasons. The LSB Futures group(now defunct) has a web page to
> document the issues,

http://www.linux-foundation.org/futures/identification/kernel/index.html

Note that there *is* a little bit of change (the page says "this
could change").  There's been an indication from the kernel community
that some part of /proc could be ready for standardization, and maybe
some other bits; and Greg K-H is now on the LSB steering committee
as a liaison.