[lsb-discuss] Moving Qt4 to required for LSB 3.2

Banginwar, Rajesh rajesh.banginwar at intel.com
Mon Apr 23 09:42:53 PDT 2007

How about the criteria we used when GTK was added in LSB 3.1? We looked
at a lot of OSS GTK applications (I think about 50) and found out which
interfaces are used most (if I recall correctly, if an interface is used
for at least once or twice we ended up including it in this list). Then
targetted to cover at least 80% of those interfaces. Each inteterface
from that target list was then thouroughly tested (not just one test per
interface). I think if we use the same criteria for QT4 it would be more
than sufficient.

>afaik, test coverage is anything but 100% for the LSB as a whole. this
>shouldn't be reinforced by adding further gaps, of course, but
>IMHO as long
>as there is forward momentum and demonstrated commitment it
>shouldn't be a
>show stopper given that allowing it to be so in this case would have
>substantial adverse effects on ISVs relying on Qt4 with regard
>to being able
>to target the LSB as a meaningful entity.

Exactly. We try not to repeat the mistakes made in the past :-) All new
libraries starting from LSB 3.1 have test coverage, except for Qt3 (and
libjpeg I think). We never received enough test coverage for Qt3 and I
would like us to avoid that mistake for Qt4 if possible.

Thanks,

-Rajesh