[lsb-discuss] LSB library feature requests

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Aug 15 12:55:13 PDT 2007

As a followon to today's call, I guess I should lay out some
pending requests here, so we can get some discussion restarted.
These are for libraries, not for individual interfaces.

Possible outcomes could be (in informal terms :-)

1. hustle like mad to get into 3.2
1a. get into 3.2 as optional (mature, but not in
enough distros that would be 3.x conforming)
2. needs more discussion / not ready, target 4.0
3. significant issues, target later than 4.0
4. forget it

These all seem to be frequent requests; I've added
a one-sentence commentary to some.

* libdbus
* cairo, perhaps pangocairo
* libnsl, libresolv
  - with few exceptions, apps don't seem to need these
    except some direct yp/nis access; there's no current
    intent to add nis support to LSB
* libasound
  - Multimedia workgroup was supposed to make a proposal,
    we should probably wait for this
* Qt4 -> mandatory
  - we seem to be waiting for improved test maturity,
    and ????
* Printing support libraries
  Two categories: a printing convenience API (subset
  of libcups), and a set of libraries that would be
  used for portable printer drivers (see LSB Printing
  wiki page for more details here).
  - Scheduled to add for 3.2, but there have been no code
    submissions yet
* libGLU
  - the improved import tools which will let us reasonably
    add a C++ library are not ready yet, this should
    probably be pushed to "consider for 4.0"
* crypto/ssl (OpenSSL or other)
  - we're waiting for something, preferably a 1.0 release
    which would signal upstream thinks things are stable
    enough to "standardize"