[lsb-discuss] Qt 4 decision

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Tue Aug 28 13:34:13 PDT 2007

We've had the Qt 4 issue hanging for a while now, and the time has come
to make up our minds.  There has been some discussion of the issues of
upgrading Qt 4 to mandatory, and some responses (by, among others,
TrollTech, who has indicated they are willing to fix issues that need
fixing).

So, it's time to hash it out and fix things, or decide finally that
we're not going to do it for some set of good reasons.

As of now, the LSB position is that Qt 4 will become mandatory for LSB
3.2, subject to TrollTech's assistance in uplifting the standard such
that it covers the common set of Qt 4 ABIs shipping in the major distros
currently shipping in LSB 3.1-certified distros, and in otherwise fixing
QA issues in the current Qt 4 specs and tests.

Questions:

 - TrollTech: can we count on your support?

 - Could those who have objected in the past summarize their objections
and rationales, or otherwise indicate if they've changed their minds?

Let's please have this discussion on the list, if for no other reason
that it helps document the results in a public place.