[lsb-discuss] First attempt to build an LSB printer driver package

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Thu Feb 1 15:01:36 PST 2007

>One remark to add: The executable works in the build
>environment and in
>both Ubuntu Feisty (more or less Herd 3) and Fedora Core 6
>(both distros
>with "lsb" package installed).
>
>There are IOCTLs in libcups to discover network resources, but the
>printer driver, a filter which turns CUPS raster into SPL2 (the
>printer's language) has nothing to do with the network and therefore
>should not call these IOCTLs.
>
>I also built the min12xxw driver (has no dependency on CUPS) and this
>one built and passed lsbappchk without any problems. also
>min12xxw works
>on Feisty and FC6,
>
>    Till
>
>Till Kamppeter wrote:

"Unable to determine if parameters to ioctl() are used in
accordance with the LSB."

>> Is my executable LSB-3.1-compliant? Or what do I need to change in
>> addition?

The message is relatively self-explanatory: appchk,
being a static check, doesn't know what code paths
will be taken at runtime and so has no clue what
ioctls you're calling.

we inteded to have a matching dynamic checker which
could do that and related runtime work, but it's
never really been completed.

So I think you're compliant if you can affirm that
non-LSB ioctls are not called.  Or you could strace
the executable during a normal run to capture the
usage data.