[lsb-discuss] Distribution-independent printer driver package --first shot

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Mon Feb 5 08:11:56 PST 2007

>I have built the package in the LSB Build Environment chroot.
>The filter binary passes the lsbappchk test, but the package
>gives following output on lsbpkgchk:

The tests that lsbpkgchk does for path checking aren't
very sophisticated - volunteers to help improve that would
not necessarily be turned away :-)

Paths not in /opt/[lanananame] are flagged as illegal.
You have to tell it the name, so

lsbpkgchk -L SpliX {pkg}

would shut it up about the /opt/SpliX names.  Of course, if
you do that, we'd hope that that name had really been
registered with LANANA (and there have been some hints recently
that process isn't working now - Ian, have you looked into this?)

This error is real:

>Error: Didn't see expected dependency lsb=3.1

while you say "it should work on any modern distro fulfilling
LSB 3.1" pkgchk thinks you didn't build the package with that
requirement.

The rest of these will *always* be an error in a
conforming package:

>checkRpmArchiveFilename: file opt/lib/printdriver/SpliX
>checkRpmArchiveFilename: file opt/share/ppd/SpliX

(and anything under them), because conforming packages
are not allowed to write to those paths. If those paths
go into the FHS as required paths, that story could
change.