[lsb-discuss] Distribution-independent printer driver package --first shot

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 09:09:30 PST 2007

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
>> I have intendedly left it out as the LSB Build Environment
>> does not have an "lsb" package installed. It should have such a package
>
>> (meta-package?) installed so that you can install LSB packages in it.
>
> At least the lsb sample implementation (lsbsi) does or should
> have this.  I'm not sure of the thinking behind leaving it
> of the buildenv, if it wasn't just an omission. Wouldn't hurt
> to file a bug on this as a reminder.

On the sample implementation the RPM installation does not complain
about missing PPDs, but about missing directories:

bash-3.1# rpm -Uvh /tmp/work/splix-1.0.1-0.beta2.1lsb3.1.i486.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
         /opt is needed by splix-1.0.1-0.beta2.1lsb3.1.i486
         /opt/lib/printdriver is needed by splix-1.0.1-0.beta2.1lsb3.1.i486
         /opt/share/ppd is needed by splix-1.0.1-0.beta2.1lsb3.1.i486
bash-3.1#

Once RPM should simply create the directories and not complain, and
second, all the directories are there, I have created them before trying
to install the RPM.

>> Why can I not use "Requires lsb >= 3.1", are the LSBs not backward
>> compatible?
>
> You can and should - at least at the moment when there's no
> such thing as a 3.2.  pkgchk is saying it didn't see this...

I have changed it to "lsb >= 3.1" now.

    Till