[lsb-discuss] Distribution-independent printer driver package --first shot

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 09:53:20 PST 2007

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
>> On the sample implementation the RPM installation does not complain
>> about missing PPDs, but about missing directories:

>> ---------
>> bash-3.1# rpm -Uvh /tmp/work/splix-1.0.1-0.beta2.1lsb3.1.i486.rpm
>> error: Failed dependencies:
>>         /opt is needed by splix-1.0.1-0.beta2.1lsb3.1.i486
>>         /opt/lib/printdriver is needed by
>> splix-1.0.1-0.beta2.1lsb3.1.i486
>>         /opt/share/ppd is needed by splix-1.0.1-0.beta2.1lsb3.1.i486
>> bash-3.1#
>
>> Once RPM should simply create the directories and not complain, and
>> second, all the directories are there, I have created them
>> before trying to install the RPM.
>
> this is caused by a moderately recent change to upstream rpm.
> everything now has to be "owned", so creating the directories
> before installing the rpm is not sufficient, they actually have
> to be in the rpm database as belonging to some package.

I can make an RPM providing the printing-related directories, but which
package should own /opt then? This should be corrected in build
environment and sample implementation. We need to somehow conserve the
possibility to install software with RPM.

RPM in FC6 does not yet require all directories to be owned by an RPM
package. Should we add something to the LSB so that installing with RPM
keeps working, also if the distro as the new RPM? Does RPM have a
command line switch to get back to the old behavior?

    Till