[lsb-discuss] (Re)starting a daemon from the post-installscript ofan LSB package

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Mon Feb 19 08:20:30 PST 2007

>> No, it sucks. invoke-rc.d is a good way to solve it, if all the
>> distros adopt that then the LSB can add it. Alternatively the
>> proposed lsb_install could have a way to do it.
>
> It may suck, but it looks it's the only option we can provide
> today. Let's
> definitely revisit this post 3.2 (or even for 3.2, if this is
> something we can bundle alongside Portland in the LSB SDK).

Yes, the spec provides for having dependencies on certain
system facilities but not for invoking those facilities.

http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_3.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-ge
neric/facilname.html

There is not a printing facility defined there - does there
need to be?

The LSB spec does suggest that you can call scripts directly
(I don't think the Debian rule existed at that point), but
that refers to a script that has been installed by an LSB
package, not a "native" (distro-provided) script, and we have
no answer for the possibility that cups may be called
different things on different systems.