[lsb-discuss] addition of "profiles" to LSB certification

Ian Murdock imurdock at imurdock.com
Mon Feb 19 12:56:20 PST 2007

With all the traveling I've been doing lately, I almost forgot to write
this up:

In an earlier thread, we discussed the idea of adding a desktop
certification [1]:

  Given all the requests we've received to make a change, it's time to
  revisit the policy of having a single certification for both server and
  desktop (i.e., going with a single certification was the wrong decision,
  my fault entirely). The demand clearly shows we need two certifications,
  though we need to be careful about how we brand them. (That was my primary
  objection the first time around--many of the server products going through
  the certification process at the time would have ended up being
  LSB Desktop certified, and if that isn't confusing, I don't know what is..)

[1] http://lists.freestandards.org/pipermail/lsb-discuss/2007-January/003487.html

We discussed this on the February 6 call and came to a resolution:

We're sticking with a single certification, but with the ability to test
against different profiles. So, you can run the desktop tests
on the platforms that support them, not run them where they don't
make sense, and use the "LSB Certified" mark for all of them.
The profiles tested will be listed in the certification register.

Current profiles are Core and Desktop. With the OSDL merger, CGL may
may become a profile too, though we're still working out details.

All existing LSB 3.1 certified distributions will be registered as
certified against both the Core and Desktop profiles.

-ian
--
Ian Murdock
317-863-2590