[lsb-discuss] This is what we should fix

Randy Dunlap randy.dunlap at oracle.com
Wed Feb 21 16:32:06 PST 2007

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
> lsb-discuss-bounces at lists.freestandards.org wrote:
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/audiohelp_nix.shtml

[snip]

I've been waiting to say this (and this is clearly not a direct
response here), but I was glad to see Till's efforts at making
a package and the problems that he went thru.  I asked a CEO
probably 5-6 times for concrete examples of building apps for
Linux and never got a response, so now I finally see one,
and I'm sure that there are lots more out there.

> Anyway, seems apropos to try to do a tie-in.  This is in
> the realm of the LF Desktop activities, for which there's
> a new mailing list (lf_desktop) as the old OSDL Desktop
> workgroup transitions. Here's the email from John Cherry:
>
> ===
> The workgroup leadership met in NYC last week to discuss how the OSDL
> workgroups such as DTL will function moving forward in the Linux
> Foundation.  I will summarize the outcome of these meetings and send it
> out on this list later today.
>
> In the mean time, I have also set up a wiki page that can be used by the
> LF desktop workgroup.
>
> https://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Desktop_Linux
>
> This new mailing list is OPEN to all, so you can encourage members and
> non-members alike to join the workgroup.
> ===

So if someone were not already on lsb-discuss or other parts of the choir,
how would they find out about lf_desktop?  I wouldn't expect lwn.net or
other "news" web sites to help out much in this respect.  And (IMO)
preferably it would be an announcement somewhere that people wouldn't have
to dig to find.

Maybe at a minimum, TLF should have a News/Announcements web page that is
project-related and not PR-related (with the current items on the Main_Page
all being PR-related).

(and possibly there is a better place to discuss this, but I don't know
where that is.)

--
~Randy