[lsb-discuss] [Lsb-infrastructure] Downloads page updated for Update 1, still need a few other things

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Tue Feb 27 05:49:57 PST 2007

> * I still had to install xvfb by hand. Again, it would be nice if
> install.sh took care of doing that for me.

We really can't do anything about this until we start
supplying our own Xvfb.  Stew has made good progress on
this, which I'm hoping to add in for the 3.2 series. For
now we face an issue that there are many differently
named packages which provide Xvfb - this isn't "standard"
so it's hard for a generic script to do this. Just a
lightning survey of the three distros that are running
right now before I boot up some more machines:

Fedora:  xorg-x11-server-Xvfb-1.2.0-6.fc7
Mandriva: x11-server-xvfb-1.1.1-11.2mdv2007.0
Ubuntu (and presumably Debian): xvfb

> * After installing xvfb, I got another error, this time that it
> couldn't find /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc or somesuch. This is
> on Ubuntu feisty, and apparently, in Ubuntu feisty, the fonts have
> been moved to /usr/share/fonts. Easy enough to fix with some
> symlinks, but it would be nice if the tests knew about
> the alternative location rather than making the user do this.

They do.  The run_tests script asks you for the location,
after hunting around to provide a reasonable default (that
is, something that *looks* like a real font directory on
that particular system).

> * After fixing this, I tried rerunning the tests, and I got an
> error about
> the tests still running. Sure enough, there were a bunch of processes
> still running the background, but I wasn't sure how to kill them, so
> I rebooted.
>
> * After rebooting, I couldn't log in again because my home
> directory was
> owned by vsx0.users. I initially ran
> /opt/lsb/distr-testkit/tef/bin/lsb-tef-start.sh as root, which
> seems to have been the culprit (I later ran that
> script as myself, and my home directory permissions were fine.)
>
> * I noticed the following error in the test run:
>
>    ./run_tests: 29: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
>
> (This was trying to run /opt/lsb/test/desktop/run_tests.) Again,
> this is due to bashisms being used in a script marked #!/bin/sh.
> /bin/sh isn't bash on Ubuntu.

At this point it's clear you haven't got the latest version
of the tests. /bin/sh issues have been addressed for
quite a while (except that there was a fire drill yesterday
as I found one more case in the c++ test that we'd missed);
the font search was improved to suggest a real font directory
on the test system instead of the older "present default and
let the user confirm that's really the right place". I'm worried
about the ownership thing, this "shouldn't be able to happen".

I ran four tests kicked off by dtk-manager last night:
Fedora Core 7test1, Ubuntu Edgy, Mandriva 2007, Debian
Etch (x86_64). All ran through the entire set of tests
without running into these sorts of problems. And
I did run lsb-tef-start.sh as root in all those cases.
I did see a few more test *result* problems than I'm
happy with, I'll be digging through those on the planes
later today, but there were no issues with the running
of the tests.