[lsb-discuss] application certification questions

Donya Shirzad dshirzad at real.com
Wed Feb 28 13:13:24 PST 2007

Hi all -

I have a few concerns regarding certifying my app for 3.1.

1)  I believe there is a requirement to not install any files outside
the specified application directory.  I have three issues with this:
   a) what about installing symbolic links to /usr/bin and /usr/lib?
What is the alternative here?  I know this has been brought up in the
past, but didn't see a definitive answer.
   b) we install a plugin for Mozilla in the Mozilla directory structure.
   c) what about the portland project (xdg-utils) installing icons?

Are we still certifiable if we install those files outside our directory
structure?  Do we need to get user input in the install process to be
able to install files outside our directory structure?

2)  What are the options for backwards-compatibility?  Right now our
installer for 3.1 depends on either the 3.1 linker (bin) or the 3.1
libraries (rpm) and fails on most of the systems out there.  As 3.1
isn't wide spread yet, how can we get backwards-compatibility?  Can we
Also, how is forward-compatibility taken care of?  Will the OS be
shipping LSB 3.1 even after they are certified for 3.2 or will it break
our dependencies?

Thanks,
- Donya