[lsb-discuss] Alternative to creating system-wide symbolic linkfrom /usr/

Ian Murdock imurdock at imurdock.com
Thu Jan 18 07:58:51 PST 2007

On 1/18/07, Wichmann, Mats D <mats.d.wichmann at intel.com> wrote:

> >Installing a symbolic link from /opt/bin/hxplay (and realplay)
> >back to the
> >installation directory allows Nautilus and browsers to find the newly
> >installed Helix and RealPlayer in the same X session. Using the
> >/etc/profile.d/ approach would require that the user restart X.
> >
> >Is there a better solution? Or we should really stay out and
> >require reboot after each installation?
>
> This seems like a topic the Portland Project folks might
> have some thoughts on.  Requiring a reboot is clearly not
> something that ought to be required...

That's true, but it doesn't really help Daniel in the short term. Is
Portland far enough along that we can advise ISVs to bundle it to
address issues such as these? If so, we should strongly consider bundling
it with the LSB SDK too, to make it easy for others as well.
CC'ing John and Waldo, since I'm not sure whether they're subscribed here.

-ian
--
Ian Murdock
317-863-2590