[lsb-discuss] Alternative to creating system-wide symbolic link from /usr/

Dan Kohn dan at dankohn.com
Fri Jan 19 21:04:43 PST 2007

At 12:26 PM 1/18/2007, Nick Stoughton wrote:

> Yes, the point is that it might be easier just to say that a reboot is
> required in such cases sometimes.

This issue my not be resolvable with the current version of the LSB.
But I think we should make it a strong requirement going forward that
LSB application installation (and ideally de-installation) can happen
without requiring a reboot or even a log-out.

Among other things, the human interface guidelines for both Windows
2000 and Mac OS X set this as a standard.  Unless the application
involves specialized init scripts (and LSB applications generally
can't), I think users are justified in expecting them to work after a
simple install.  Klik advances the ease of download and use by
skipping even the required installation step.

Let's make sure we don't set our expectations too low.  (Although for
LSB 3.1, a log out may be the only option.)

            - dan
--
Dan Kohn <mailto:dan at dankohn.com>
<http://www.dankohn.com/>  <tel:+1-415-233-1000>