[lsb-discuss] [packaging] I just don't think people get what the Mozilla vs Debian truely means.

Anthony W. Youngman wol at thewolery.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 28 11:22:31 PST 2007

In message <20070127232732.EC6BB37D37 at carmen.fc.hp.com>, Matt Taggart
<taggart at carmen.fc.hp.com> writes
>Peter,
>
>I think your comments about distros using trademarks are part of the
>insanity that is "Intellectual Property" today. You seem to not understand
>the nature of the FOSS community. However given that there are other people
>that also hold your opinion, efforts for FOSS projects to better explain
>their trademark policies would probably not be a bad idea. They should be
>wary of getting caught up in the game that is "IP" and keep their actions
>grounded in "what is needed for my fellow community members" vs "what is
>needed so some slimey IP company doesn't sue me".

Something you have to remember is that the LAW says "defend it or LOSE
IT" as far as trademarks is concerned.

That's actually why Tux is a far better emblem for Linux than the
"linux" name (it's copyright, not trademark), and why Mozilla and the
other FLOSS projects are so "funny" about names and trademarks. They
HAVE to be, because if they don't defend their names NOW, they won't be
ALLOWED to defend their name in future.

That's why there's all this trouble - Mozilla et al HAVE NO CHOICE but
to do something. The problem is what to do - made worse by all those
idiots (if I may be so strong) who refuse to accept that the law applies
to EVERYone - FLOSS isn't exempt just because it's FLOSS.

Cheers,
Wol
Anthony W. Youngman - anthony at thewolery.demon.co.uk