[lsb-discuss] revisiting LSB Desktop certification

Ian Murdock imurdock at imurdock.com
Wed Jan 31 17:33:26 PST 2007

On 1/31/07, Banginwar, Rajesh <rajesh.banginwar at intel.com> wrote:
> How do we define "Desktop components"? Is Graphincs module (X, OpenGL,
> imaging) part of Desktop?
> If yes, LSB 3.1update1 will not be backward compatible to LSB 3.0. If
> no, we may still not be addressing all the concerns.

Good question. We won't break backward compatibility. Even if graphics has
to stay, while not ideal (I would have loved to have gotten rid of X etc.
in the DCC days), it should be noted that the primary complaint seems to
be the desktop libs that got added in 3.1 which aren't relevant (and
just represent added overhead) for the server products, and just
plain don't make any sense on some of the architectures (e.g. S390X).

-ian
--
Ian Murdock
317-863-2590