[lsb-discuss] revisiting LSB Desktop certification

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Wed Jan 31 19:22:49 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 17:23 -0800, Banginwar, Rajesh wrote:
> How do we define "Desktop components"? Is Graphincs module (X, OpenGL,
> imaging) part of Desktop?
> If yes, LSB 3.1update1 will not be backward compatible to LSB 3.0. If
> no, we may still not be addressing all the concerns.

It seems to me that if the goal of the LSB was that an application be
able to work on a distribution that whether or not the distribution was
working on "server hardware", and whether that server had a graphics
head, X-server (or OpenGL or Image server) would not make any
difference.  It is the libraries to access those components on some
other platform that would be needed.

In other words, the Xlib libraries on the server still need to be there
for a graphical application to be able to run, even if that graphical
interface is on another system.

The only time a server would not have those libraries would be if it had
no applications that would be displaying on a graphical interface.

Hmmmm....maybe you would find a server like that in today's
world...maybe.

Before you go off and spend lots of cycles on this, why not get from the
people requesting this a better idea of what they want (assuming that
you don't already have that)  And how much of the market that LSB is
intended to address does it really represent?

md