[lsb-discuss] libGL versioning & ABI (was Re: libGLU?)

Jon Leech jon at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Jul 9 14:31:49 PDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 05:16:17PM -0400, Robert Schweikert wrote:
> I am not a GL expert, but I believe that GL 1.5 is a superset of 1.2,

    I am a GL expert - OpenGL spec editor since 1997 - and you are
correct. The API is backwards compatible all the way from 1.0 to 2.1
(don't ask... marketing guys).

> thus adding the additional calls to the LSB should be relatively easy. I
> suspect that adding the 2.1 interfaces would also work as all
> distributions probably ship libGL with the 2.1 interfaces already.

    Depends on what the IHVs ship too. You may well be correct, it just
needs to be confirmed. IIRC, AMD now uses the DRI libGL infrastructure
and just ships their own loadable driver modules for X.org and the
kernel, so they effectively draft off of whatever DRI supplies via
X.org. NVIDIA ships its own libGL too, but they have the most up-to-date
GL feature support of anyone.

    Jon