[lsb-discuss] lsbappchk DT_NEEDED

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Thu Jul 12 09:04:14 PDT 2007

Vladimir Rubanov wrote:

> the apps DO NOT use any libXau
> interfaces. The only "guilt" is having wrong lib in DT_NEEDED
> list due to the linker whim.

I suspect it's due to the use of pkg-config in current
X.org releases.

> We might require that all LSB applications should be built with
> "--as-needed" linker option (and make lsbcc use it). This
> should ensure no libraries are placed in DT_NEEDED that are
> not directly called by the app. But I wonder why people do not
> use this option in wide practice - are there any reasons other
> than the option is not active by default?

Most likely, people don't know about it.

It turns out in complicated situations --as-needed may not
do the right thing, at least according to how this was
explained to me just a few days ago.  I have to find the
reference again, I may be remembering/understanding wrong.

> One more idea to smooth the situation is to grant waivers in
> particular cases like libXau included in DT_NEEDED as a side effect of
> using libX11.

this should not happen in the case of building in LSB mode,
but it is a problem for data analysis from captured applications
which are not built in LSB mode.