[lsb-discuss] appchk - command line processing

Robert Schweikert robert.schweikert at mathworks.com
Tue Jul 17 05:37:26 PDT 2007

Picking this back up.

Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> So I take your point. The current text covers programs sanely but not
>> libraries
>>

> I'm not even sure the current text conveys the right
> impression,  as we've seen; "If a feature is not
> present, then a conforming application shall not use it."
> could of course be interpreted as including "and in
> fact, we're not even going to try to run because
> that feature is missing" but that's not the way I'd
> take it at a quick look.  Obviously we'll entertain
> discussion on alternative wordings.

I think it should be clearly stated that an application may choose not
to install or provide an appropriate error message if an attempt is made
to execute on an x86 CPU which does not support features the application
needs.
> Anyway, what could we do on the library side?

Maybe we could add some special conditions for libraries.  The library
itself can be LSB compliant. The certification could state the minimum
instruction set. For example if parasolid requires SSE2 instruction John
could certify to be LSB compliant and then state that the minimum x86
cpu is one that supports SSE2. The app vendor incorporating the library
is then responsible for the CPU feature check while at the same time
being assured that the library itself will not give any trouble when the
app vendor tries to certify his/her own application.