[lsb-discuss] LSB: finishing off the Qt4 question

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Fri Jul 20 07:08:02 PDT 2007

So we've managed to debate Qt4 becoming mandatory
in LSB several times without advancing to a
decision.  We've got an LSB 3.2 release coming up
and I'd like to settle on what the decision points
actually are.

As I remember it, the outstanding issues are:

- the LSB Qt4 module doesn't have enough tests
(a few more have arrived and more are in progress)

- Qt4 API stability (it's an evolving project and
like any other project adds things with new versions,
so 4.2 is an increment over 4.1.  The question
becomes, since there has been evolution since the
spec that went into LSB 3.1, which minor version
should be the basis for LSB)

- Qt4 integration with other technologies, particularly
the evolving accessibility framework (atspi)

- Qt4 shipping in all the distros which are likely
to conform to LSB 3.2 (i.e., making Qt4 mandatory does
not add an extra burden to distributions becoming
LSB conforming beyond that of just completing the
tests)

Are there more?

What conditions have to be satisfied before Qt4
can change status?  I'd like to get us to a stage
where we can look at a checklist and say either
"yes, the criteria have been satisfied" or "no,
the criteria have not been satisfied".  That was
the original intent when Qt4 was added, but was
made optional - that once certain criteria were
met it would move over to mandatory.