[lsb-discuss] Looking for comments on Perl, Python (and why not TCL, Ruby, PHP, etc.)

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Wed Jun 6 08:59:42 PDT 2007

lsb-discuss-bounces at lists.freestandards.org wrote:
> As an ISV, I would wonder WHY others are asking for it?  We
> have to ship our own copies "embedded" in the software tree we
> deliver, but I think that is partially because we need
> specifics (modules, etc.)  And as pointed out, it's pretty
> hard to "nail down" a P*SB (Perl/Python Standard Base ;-)
>
> So, Along with ISV "requests", we should be collecting some
> concrete "WHY" they are asking for it.

That was my original question, yes.

Let me say that there may be prefectly reasonable "marketing"
reasons for P*SB, and it's perfectly reasonable to consider
"marketing" as part of the criteria for doing things in the
standards space. For example, today you can't be an LSB Certified
Application if you use non-LSB elements and don't supply those
yourself. If people want to use a distro-provided interpreter,
AND want to be LSB Certfied, then that's a gap.

My question was unashamedly technical:  are the things we're
looking at going to solve the *technical* problems people
are having with trying to depend on system perl/python. And
what might those problems be?