[lsb-discuss] [sane-devel] LSB DDK: Support for scanner drivers/SANE into LSB 3.2?

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 03:01:11 PDT 2007

René Rebe wrote:
>> SANE developers, WDYT about SANE getting into the LSB? Are you willing
>> to provide API documentation and testing procedures?
>
> Some of us (read including me) are interested in this standardization
> efford, while others plan to reinvent the SANE wheel with a 100%
> incompatible SANE2 for about 5 years or so, now.

Hase the SANE2 development actually started? What are the limitations of
the current SANE framework? Is there no possibility to overcome them
without creating completely new driver and application APIs/ABIs?

> Having the SANE API in the LSB is certainly a big step forward in future
> end-user experience with Desktop Linux, it certainly also makes it harder
> to rectify an incomtiable rewrite of SANE just for the sake of it.

I would appreciate the cooperation from the SANE developers to get SANE
into LSB 3.2, as only adding this adds the same possibilities for
scanners which we have now with the LSB DDK for printers. See

http://www.openprinting.org/
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/WritingAndPackagingPrinterDrivers
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/LFSummitMountainView2007
http://www.linux-foundation.org/images/e/e4/Distro-Independent-Packages.pdf