[lsb-discuss] [sane-devel] LSB DDK: Support for scanner drivers/SANE into LSB 3.2?

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 04:30:13 PDT 2007

René Rebe wrote:
>> Hase the SANE2 development actually started? What are the limitations of
>
> Don't think so.

[...]
> I think SANE 1 is pretty fine and in too wide use to abondone. Features
> of new scanners, such as JPEG and infrared frames can easily be added
> without breaking anything, just new types.
>
> I think most SANE 2 jadda jadda is driven by some "let's rewrite everything
> so that it looks prettier" without thinking about the aspects like:
>
>  - enforcing all application support to be rewritten
>  - probably loosing a lot of old driver noone will port to SANE 2
>
> and probably:
>
>  - not enough volunteers to rewrite everything from scratch
>
> which is possibly why no SANE 2 code despite a lot of SPEC talking
> has seen the wild, yet.

[...]
> As a company having Open Source scanning solutions in production,
> and helping other companies to do so I appreciate this efford and would
> help - however I can only do so if SANE 2 development does not throw
> all away that we built up the last 10 years.

I think under these circumstances it is the best to simply go ahead and
do everything to get the current SANE into the LSB. The time is much
better invested for getting SANE into the LSB than for writing a new
SANE. Current SANE in LSB will make many manufacturers start supporting
Linux immediately. SANE2 will make a big confusion and repel the
manufacturers.

So I recommend for the best for Linux on the desktop and for the SANE
project is to concentrate on getting SANE into the LSB now.

    Till