[lsb-discuss] LSB 3.1 Update 1 status (and minutes for 2/20 and 2/27)

Ian Murdock imurdock at imurdock.com
Thu Mar 1 15:31:57 PST 2007

2/20: Stew Benedict, John Cherry, Darren Davis, Tom Hanrahan, Russ
Herrold, Dan Kohn, Jeff Licquia, Marc Miller, Ian Murdock, Robert
Schweikert, Mats Wichmann

2/27: Stew Benedict, John Cherry, Tom Hanrahan, Marvin Heffler, Russ
Herrold, Dan Kohn, Jeff Licquia, Marc Miller, Ian Murdock, Robert
Schweikert, Kay Tate

Primary agenda items for 2/20 and 2/27 were finalization of LSB 3.1 Update
1. We also talked a bit about LSB 3.2 issues, primarily the need for a "How
to write an LSB module" document (to make it easier for people building
modules "around the edges" to contribute) as well as the need for a more
structured/predictable build process, since most of the delays in the
update are due to build process. I'll write up a summary of these
issues in the 3/5 minutes, which will be devoted to the topic of 3.2.

First things first: As mentioned on the call, I'm setting the
release date of LSB 3.1 Update 1 to March 12. We're
planning a press release for March 19, so this is a HARD STOP.

Most of the previous blockers appear to be dealt with now, and I've
updated the Downloads page accordingly--please have a look, and let
me know if you notice any problems.

ANY TESTING YOU CAN DO BETWEEN NOW AND THE 12TH IS ENORMOUSLY HELPFUL.

(Sorry, my caps lock key got stuck.)

Here are outstanding issues:

* Mats: We still need the Specifications page text.

* Stew has done some work on enabling profiles in the tools,
and I talked with the RAS team this morning about how to expose
profiles in the DTK Manager. In summary, we'll be launching Update
1 with two profiles: "Core and C++" and "Core, C++, and Desktop".

In the DTK Manager, the certification mode will add a drop down
menu for selecting the profiles with those two options, and with
"Core, C++, and Desktop" as the default selection. This will be
in the same place the user selects architecture and LSB version.

Stew reports that, at the command line level, the switch is "-T core",
which is mildly confusing (since it's actually Core and C++) and "-T
desktop" (or no option at all, since "everything" is the default here
too). Since most users will be using the DTK Manager, I'm not too worried
about -T core, but I suppose if it's easy to fix, we could change it.

As discussed, there will continue to be a single certification--
profiles will be listed in the product directory (there will be
a third column for Profile alongside LSB Version and
Architectures). All currently certified distributions will be marked as
tested against the "Core, C++, and Desktop" profile.

The new DTK Manager with the profile support will be available in a
few days, and will be ready to be rolled into a new bundle by early
next week.

* Signed packages: My understanding is that we have this done on the
RPM side, just need instructions for the Downloads page for how to add
keys to the keyring (Russ). Jeff is looking at signing the APT repos.

* Russ was going to look at the RPMs and yum repositories to make sure
we've done everything the proper RPM way.

* Jeff was going to prepare 3.0 versions of the SDK and App Testkit
(in both bundle and repo form--bundles may already exist, not sure).

* The Certification page needs to be updated to reflect the new testkits,
naming (Distribution vs. Runtime), and profiles. John Cherry and I are
working on this along with a simplified/streamlined certification process

* We need to resolve the versioning question (3.1.0-n vs. 3.1.1-1).

* We need to write release notes (Ian, with help from Mats, Jeff, and
Stew).

March 12!

-ian
--