[lsb-discuss] lsb_release information

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Fri Mar 2 05:11:33 PST 2007

The LSB specifies a required command, lsb_release,
which is documented here:

http://refspecs.freestandards.org/LSB_3.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-ge
neric/lsbrelease.html

Now that we have "derived" distributions, there's
a question of what the information ought to be.
There are two fields of interest, the Distributor
ID and the Description.  Should these be customized
for the derived distribution or should they be
those provided by the one it's derived from?

To be even more specific, if you use the upstream's
package, which appears to be the case in one
instance we've seen, is that okay?

Not proposing to make a change that would imply
that any current implementation is wrong and would
not be certifiable, but that we have a chance to
clarify what we mean people to do.  At the moment
it's distributor choice, and that's not necessarily
wrong either, I'd just like us to know, and say so.

In the particular example that raised this question,
we were trying to harvest some information about the
system for recording about test runs.

If we call lsb_release, the Description says
"Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 (sarge)" and that the
distributor ID is "Debian", but on the same
platform /etc/issue reports something quite
different.

Thoughts?