[lsb-discuss] LSB apps on non-LSB distros (was Re: application certification questions)

Robert Schweikert robert.schweikert at abaqus.com
Sun Mar 4 21:52:30 PST 2007

I say the app installer does not need to be LSB compliant. It is the
ISVs responsibility to check for system requirements. Even if an app is
not LSB certified they will probably check at least the glibc version
and a few other things here and there. Every app has some requirements
and ISVs do not let users install their app any which way the user
pleases. If there is no checking a user might try to install and app
build on a newer distro on a really old distro like RedHat 5 (not a
typo, I do NOT mean RHEL 5).

Yes, I know this recreates the problem of testing on many distributions,
but it's just the installer and not the whole application. The other
approach of course is to have a java, python, or perl based installer.

Robert

--
Robert Schweikert                   MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
(Robert.Schweikert at abaqus.com)                 LINUX