[lsb-discuss] pkgconfig in LSB Build Environment

Daniel Yek dyek at real.com
Tue Mar 6 22:49:56 PST 2007

At 12:25 AM 3/6/2007, Daniel Yek wrote:
><snip>
>I have managed to execute the GTK+ Hello World program in the LSB Sample
>Implementation environment successfully. Thank you for your help and hints.
>
>There were a lot of ac-hoc headers modification though -- messy.
>
>I saw a lot of header files were using something like <gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h>.
>
>Typically GTK+ headers only include one subdirectory name (eg. "gtk") to
>create a "namespace". Did LSB decide to introduce version (as reflected in
>"gtk-2.0") in the namespace too? (In Linux distribution? Or in LSB BE only?)
>
>pkg-config's command line -I include-directories didn't match the
>version-ed #include's, causing headers files to be not found in the
>/opt/lsb directory and fallback to the /usr directory.
><snip>

I tried building RealPlayer in the LSB BE using pkg-config files and header
files from lsb-build-desktop-*.rpm package; I found that G_BEGIN_DECLS
define from glib/gmacros.h is missing from lsb-build-desktop's set of
headers. Is the macro defined elsewhere?

G_BEGIN_DECLS is widely used, so missing it would make it difficult to use
LSB BE for GTK+ projects. I think folding all definition into a few big
files may work (but may require source code workaround), but missing things
making it very difficult to work with.

With that said, I want to say that I had been using LSB BE (without
lsb-build-desktop-*.rpm) to build Helix and RealPlayer for months
successfully and found it to be very useful. There were a few
non-LSB-conformance, which resulted in this attempt to fix it. The
potential is still there.

I'm planning to switch to lsbcc soon.

--
Daniel Yek