[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2007-11-21

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Wed Nov 21 09:10:23 PST 2007

Attendees: Jeff, Dan Kohn, Sam Hart, Ted Ts'o, Stew, Mats, Till, Robert.
  (Jesper from TrollTech on IRC; can't call in.)

Autobuilders.  Only two failures for t2c-desktop; ia32 hasn't been fixed
yet, and s390x was still building as of the call.

Qt 4.  Working on some issues with the database.  Problem: qmake
currently uses "optional" status to determine whether using Qt 3 or 4;
what to do when both are required?  Jeff: Deprecate Qt 3?  Jesper: still
popular, may not make sense.  Ted: nervous about dropping it too soon.
Question of whether we'll have to keep it around for too long.  Jeff:
should we make qmake default to 4, use 3 with an environment variable
setting?  Mats: seems to make sense, should file a bug.  Jeff: when was
Qt 3 released?  Seems to be late 2001 for KDE 3 alpha, based on Qt 3
beta 6.  Sam: officially Oct 15, 2001 for the final.  Jeff: how long did
the distros keep Qt 2 around?  Ted: more commercial apps, so they may
want to keep Qt 3 around longer than Qt 2.  Jeff: found a page that
asserts that Qt 3 is end-of-life as of July 1, 2007.  Check navigator;
only one commercial app uses it.  Robert: first test of new deprecation
policy, can always extend it.  Ted: propose on the list?  Jeff: yes.
Ted: can always change our mind.  Mats: need to do it quickly; first
time we've deprecated an entire module.  May be able to just put in a
notice.

Mats: some issues where the spec and implementation may not match.
ISPRAS is proposing some fixes.  Proposal in the bug list (1780); Jeff
thinks this should get more publicity, will send to the list.  Alexey:
Carlos has given some guidance to ISPRAS.

Jeff: qt designer?  Mats: still broken on the autobuilders, link issue,
seems like something we've seen before.  Stew: switches to g++ for link,
shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Printing.  Jeff spec work.  Till: man page exists; will send
enhancements to Jeff.  Mats: tool for converting man page to docbook
(doclifter?), been a while since he looked at it.  Stew: foomatic tests
integrated into printing-test; should roll through autobuilders today.
Till: may be some fixes needed, foomatic tests assume the system cupsd,
not the test cupsd, some other adjustments.  No foomatic-rip installed
on build systems?  Jeff: may be just that it wasn't installed; they
don't print.  Jeff: need to look into it; as long as the package is
provided, we're ok.  Stew: can grab the test source to find file
locations as needed.  Till: need some CUPS facilities.  Jeff: facilities
not in the LSB, may need to be reworked or dropped.

Jeff: task list on the ProjectPlan32 page top; please link to the
section of ProjectPlan32 that still has work to do, and remove the link
when stuff is done.

Mats: should we do a LSB miniconf at OLS?  Ted: what would the purpose
be?  Mats: public-facing; bringing it up for discussion before the
deadline.  Ted: not sure the people we'd be targeting would be at OLS,
attendees might be indifferent.  Not a "no"; need to be clear about our
goals.  Talk about on the list.