[lsb-discuss] 3.1.1 and shared libraries creation

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Tue Nov 27 05:43:59 PST 2007

>Hi,
>
>Given a test file containing int foo () { return 0; } and
>using libtool/automake the results of the build are always
>archives.  Is there anything in 3.1.1 that prevents the
>creation of shared libraries?
>
>I've used a chroot /opt/lsb-buildenv-ia32 build environment
>provided by lsb-buildenv-3.1.1-1.i486.rpm.

Nothing intrinsically prevents it, and we have several
instances/examples where it's done (e.g. builds of
apache and samba).  I hope someone with a bit more expertise
on lsb-buildenv can pipe up on this, but we have had some
experiences with libtool being "too smart for its own good"
and causing trouble.  Perhaps with some more details,
someone could take a look...