[lsb-discuss] LSB conf call notes for 2007-11-28

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Wed Nov 28 10:33:33 PST 2007

Attendees: Jeff, Marvin, Carlos and Jesper from TrollTech, Dan, Robert,
Sam, Marc Miller, Vladimir, Alexey, Stew, Mats, Till

3.2 status.  Qt 4.  TrollTech is sending symbol lists to fix
qt-designer; Mats reports that those are integrated and will build
today.  Qt 4 tests building.  Mats will read the virtual table proposal,
and possibly integrate it.  Mats: spec with integrated Qt 4 building.
Question: deprecate Qt 3?  Carlos: on Qt 3, worried about KDE, want Qt 4
to be default.  Robert: not saying anything about deprecation of Qt 3.
Marc: std KDE?  Jeff: no, more a message thing.  Also, question: two
versions of the same library non-deprecated?  Dan: who's pushing back?
Carlos clarifies; they're not pushing back, just raising a concern.
Mats: never done before, some issues with keeping both C++.  Jeff: any
other objections?  From now on, the policy is to deprecate Qt 3 in LSB 3.2.

Printing.  Stew: printing tests are building.  Jeff: Mats has built
skeleton specs, am pasting the content into the printing skeleton.

ALSA: lots of activity.  Mats: got expert feedback regarding interfaces,
not sure it's a good idea to use them.  New interfaces proposed aren't
used by apps.  Jeff: did the experts propose removing APIs?  Mats: some
13 APIs we have but were not on their list.  Vladimir: ISPRAS identified
some 400 interfaces; message was for 478 additional interfaces, plus 12
interfaces not in their lists (they didn't mention any to remove
explicitly).  Mats: skeleton spec here too, for "multimedia".

Jeff: snapshots of specs now available, in
http://www.linux-foundation.org/snapshots/.  Mats: will rebuild fairly
often, when major changes happen.

Release schedule?  Robert: beta in last 2 weeks of the year will gather
no feedback.  Releasing the beta earlier, but with issues, may be
better.  Mats: as long as we can keep everything sane, we should be able
to release the beta and continue to find issues.  Probably better to
release early with issues, and possibly avoid a late release, than to
release late and guarantee one, esp. if a delayed beta will be ignored
anyway.  Jeff: let's plan to release the beta early next week, then.

Robert: if Qt 3 is not marked as deprecated, how will appchk know when
it finds them?  Mats: it won't.  Robert: bug on appchk to push this out
past the release?  Mats: sure.  Could hand-hack appchk to switch on
deprecation when it sees symbols from the Qt 3 libraries.  Jeff: single
warning for Qt 3?  Robert: good thing, but people will want to know
specifically what they're using and where.

Vladimir: two issues.  Optional/trial use vs. required decision, per
Alexey's message on the list?  Jeff: we need a decision, but out of
time.  Do on the list?  Mats: as long as we don't ignore it.  Jeff: will
write up a summary and set of decisions, people can object, but
otherwise will be the plan going forward.

Second issue: publishing the 3.2 tests early?  (Sent email earlier; the
3.2 tests need publishing so the Managers can be tested.)  Mats: no
reason we can't.