[lsb-discuss] LSB and SELinux

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Thu Nov 29 06:24:46 PST 2007

elocations?

> I think this is mostly a timing and awareness issue. While Ulrich
> Drepper certainly explains the issues well in the DSO How-To and
> http://people.redhat.com/drepper/textrelocs.html I am not sure
> there is sufficient awareness of this issue such that no surprises
> arise when SELinux is enabled.

So there is a practical matter here.  LSB imports DT_TEXTREL,
as can be seen here:

http://refspecs.linux-foundation.org/LSB_3.1.1/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core
-generic/dynamicsection.html

(rats, there's a totally unrelated bug in that page that looks
like the result of a failed global edit)

There's already an explicit check routine for this in the
elfchk code (used by appchk), but like many of the elf section
tests, it's a stub, generally it's not clear what you'd test
beyond simply recognizing a valid tag.

So... it would be trivial to add some sort of warning
on detection of this flag, but I wouldn't want to do
that unless there was a corresponding warning somewhere
in the specification that makes a (probably non-normative)
observation that this is something to watch out for.
One could go as far as making it illegal, although as
Alan and Robert point out the problem of not-controlled
code make that problematic.

What do people think?