[lsb-discuss] LSB and SELinux

Darren Davis ddavis at novell.com
Thu Nov 29 09:22:42 PST 2007

<3F62CBEE02D6404E98C65934617EB58203593B86 at fmsmsx414.amr.corp.intel.com>,
"Wichmann, Mats D" <mats.d.wichmann at intel.com> wrote:

> readelf comes from binutils, eu- readelf comes from elfutils,
> which contain Ulrich's reimplementation of a lot of the ELF
> code.  The stuff in binutils is of, ummm, dubious quality but
> has to be carried because binutils has a target of working
> "everywhere", while elfutils is free to concentrate on just
> Linux.   Not sure how widespread distro uptake of elfutils is -
> I just haven't checked; it's clearly there in Redhat/Fedora.

It is my understanding that the elfutils are Red Hat only since from reading Ulrich's website the source has not been released.  I know I was asked about the differences by an ISV and when I asked engineering I was told that we would never be able to include elfutils, but only include binutils.

But, I would have to defer to someone with more specific knowledge.

Darren