[lsb-discuss] LSB 3.2 Questions

Jeff Licquia jeff at licquia.org
Fri Nov 30 13:25:44 PST 2007

Alexey Khoroshilov wrote:
> * Q1: What is status of the newly added elements in LSB 3.2? *

Here's my take.  Unless there are objections, this should indicate the
final status of the new elements in LSB 3.2.

Un-noted elements will be treated as you described them.

> The list of the elements is as follows: (in brackets, the preliminary
> status)
>
> 1. Interpreted Languages:
> - perl    (mandatory as agreed at the LSB F2F)
> - python    (mandatory as agreed at the LSB F2F)
>
> 2. Desktop libraries:
> - Qt4    (becomes mandatory as agreed at the LSB F2F)

In addition, from subsequent discussion, Qt 3 will be deprecated.

> - libfreetype    (mandatory as agreed at the LSB F2F)
> - libXft    (out of scope since it is not ready in full)
> - libXrender    (out of scope since it is not ready in full)

It was my recollection that the two X extensions would be trial-use
modules; is that right?  That, at any rate, is how I am planning to
treat them.

> - FreeDesktop.org specs and xdg-utils package    (???)

These should be trial-use modules as well.

> 3. Printing:
> - libcups    (Trial Use Module - ???)
> - libcupsimage    (Trial Use Module - ???)
> - ghostscript, foomatic-rip, etc    (Trial Use Module - ???)

All of the Printing additions will be mandatory.

> 4. Multimedia
> - libasound    (Trial Use Module - ???)

Correct.  (Possible objection: Java?)

> * Q2: What are our plans for the LSB 3.2 certification program? *
>
> The LSB 3.1 distribution certification program has two LSB profiles:
> - Core&C++    (intended for servers without GUI)
> - Core&C++&Desktop    (covering the whole LSB specs)
>
> Which profiles are we going to have in LSB 3.2 certification program?
>
> If we keep the same two profiles the questions are:
> Which of the newly added elements go to the first profile and which to
> the second one?
> How does it affect names of the profiles?

I believe the aim of the profiles was to make it easier to set up a
later "embedded" or "mobile" certification of some kind.  If that goal
is kept in mind, I would keep the same two profiles.

It seems clear to me that all of the new specs should be added to the
GUI profile (the one that covers Desktop, too).  The three less obvious
modules are Perl, Python, and Printing; I would argue that these three
might not be appropriate to require for such a "small-platform"
certification, should we create one in the LSB 3 timeframe.

Part of the problem with the current profiles is that they were created
without a strong purpose in mind.  We should correct this for LSB 4.0.
But in the meantime, it seems prudent to keep the Core&C++ profile
unchanged.