[lsb-discuss] deprecating some interfaces for LSB 3.2?

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at intel.com
Tue Oct 23 06:01:03 PDT 2007

Robert Schweikert wrote:
> Wichmann, Mats D wrote:
>> Currently when compiling LSB checkers, three
>> interfaces cause gcc depraction warnings to
>> be issued.
>>
>> Should those three interfaces also move to
>> deprecated status in LSB?
>>
>> pthread_h.c: In function 'pthread_h':
>> pthread_h.c:838: warning: 'pthread_attr_setstackaddr' is deprecated
>> (declared at /usr/include/pthread.h:346)
>> pthread_h.c:840: warning: 'pthread_attr_getstackaddr' is deprecated
>> (declared at /usr/include/pthread.h:338)
>>
> Agree with Nick and Jeff.
>> unistd_h.c: In function 'unistd_h':
>> unistd_h.c:2803: warning: 'getwd' is deprecated (declared at
>> /usr/include/unistd.h:483)
>>
> getwd is declared deprecated in the man page (Debian 4.0) and
> is an easy global change to getcwd() for anyone.
>
> I see no reason not to deprecate all three interfaces. I hope
> we have a "replaced by" entry in the database such that people
> looking up getwd() will see that it has been deprecated and
> what the alternative call is supported by LSB.

Yes, we do.  The database now has an InterfaceAttribute
table that lets us say various things about an interface,
replacing the older concept of just embedding it in a
comment field.

For an example of what this looks like in the navigator:

http://www.linux-foundation.org/navigator/browse/int_single.php?cmd=list
-by-name&Istd=5&Iname=finite

see Recommendations.  This information will also be issued
by lsbappchk (not as a failure, though).